Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Difference Between Hungarians and Americans





In general, I have not noticed a big difference between the people here in Budapest and those back in America. The people here are just that...people. Sure, there are a few differences in mannerisms and such like that, but everyone is just living their lives, trying to make the best of things.

I have noticed that Americans speak much louder than Hungarians. We are much more vocal and talkative. Similarly, with my friend Laci, when he is talking to Ellora and I he speaks in the same volume we do, which is loud. But as soon as he starts speaking Magyar, the volume of his voice decreases by about 40%. Very interesting.

The people in Budapest also do not smile as much as Americans. Most smiles in America seem almost fake, put on to make each other feel more at ease. We smile at just about everything, or at least I do. But when I smile here, I get the stares that seem to say, "What are you so happy about? You must be a tourist. Ugh." Hungarians, are generally not very happy people. That is not to say that there are no happy people in Hungary, but as a whole, most people are very unsatisfied with their lives. In America, when we ask how are you, we get the same generic answer, "Fine," even if it is not actually true. Here, people will go into great detail about all the terrible things happening in their lives. Hungarians love to complain.

The most stares that I have gotten are when I speak English. Of course, very few people in Budapest speak good English, so when they hear it, they immediately distance themselves and look at you like you are crazy. There really aren't that many tourists this time of year, making it rare to hear any other language than Magyar.

Laci and Zsofi both pointed out that Americans are very fake and exaggerated in their reactions toward each other. This is something that I too, have noticed. When an American is telling a story to another American, the second American becomes very interested in everything the first American is saying, to almost an embarrassing degree. I have even on occasion, made up a better ending to my stories as to not make the people I am talking to feel like they have wasted their time and energy by listening to me. But here in Budapest, people only listen if they really want to know, and don't necessarily expect a grand finale.

One last thing I have noticed in differences between Americans and Hungarians, is the physical way in which people interact with one another. Here in Budapest, couples openly express their feelings toward each other, without seeming awkward and uncomfortable. The will greet and depart with kisses on both cheeks. They make sure they touch one another at least once during their time together, but rarely hug. Americans are much more stand-offish toward one another. They only hug when they are pretty close or feel the moment is right, and only kiss when they are really close. Not being a very physical person myself, I have found myself being slightly awkward and uncomfortable with the physical customs which I have thrown myself into. So much so, in fact, that Ellora, Zsofi, and Laci make fun of me because I cannot do it right. I'm still adapting on that account.

There are pluses and minuses to both nations, but in both I feel complete. I am simply a human being traveling through life with other human beings doing the same. Mannerisms do not change that.

2 comments:

Integrity said...

Great! You are very observant! I wonder if we will notice even more about americans when we go home. it's interesting because i'm loving the hungarians, and at the same time my affection is growing for my home town folks. i love them all. and i'm starting to really apreciate the differences even though i still notice that they are not the same. i love them both.

Integrity said...

also if you want your freinds to comment on your blog who don't have a blog themselves, edit your security setting. i can help :)